Woolwich Wahala


A historic NBM related incident from 2006 that, at the time, was never given it’s full context. It was a story that was picked up by the media as evidence that the police were systematically and randomly killing black people on the streets of the UK. 

There was uproar around the world with Frank Ogboru been described as “not a violent man, he was not a criminal.” and merely a “businessman on holiday”. Making it seem that a random tourist had been jumped on and killed by the police. 

The story would have been far less effective at demonstrating random and unnecessary levels of violence had it been known Frank Ogboru was a member of a violent criminal mafia and most likely a very dangerous person. 

I certainly dont believe members of the NBM should be killed but think it’s very important that full context of such incidents are brought to light. 

The incident was discussed in a London Zone Black Axe forum:

Aye Axemen,

Can somebody please confirm that they know the above mentioned and that he 
is an Axeman.

I hail

Lord Muammar El Quadaffi
Udi ’83


I believe He his an Axeman. blended during the zonal blendings in lagos 
>or ibadan, I am not too sure but the NCH or Wino should know better,
>  I have just been told he died today.
>  I know him personally, may his soul rest in piece.
>  Oba O.N.11
>  Atlanta Zone
>  FJ 87


My Lord Oba O.N,

Thanks for the confirmation, Wino has already confirmed to me and he was 
killed by the Police during some kind of restraint during questioning 
outside a friend’s house late Tuesday night. He was ostensibly in London for 
a SSPA meeting and the details are still unclear as there is currently an 
investigation by the IIPC (Independent Police Complaints Commission) but it 
is likely there will be a meeting this evening to garner the facts and 
decide on a course of action.

Will keep you posted.


Lord Muammar El Quadaffi
Udi ’83



Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/i-cant-breathe-tourist-screamed-at-police-seconds-later-he-died-6634744.html


I can’t breathe, tourist screamed at police… Seconds later he died

This is the moment a tourist died in the street after being restrained by police.

Frank Ogboru, 43, was sprayed with CS gas and pinned down after a minor row. CCTV footage captured him losing consciousness after screaming: “I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe.”

The Nigerian businessman, who was in London on holiday, stopped breathing and was declared dead in hospital.

Witnesses said officers had their “knees and feet” on him as he “wailed like a dog”. But the CPS decided there was ” insufficient evidence” for any of the officers to be charged in connection with Mr Ogboru’s death in Woolwich in September 2006.

Speaking from her home in Lagos, Mr Ogboru’s widow, Christy, said: “I am crushed. I put my faith in the British system to give me justice but it has failed me. Frank was not a criminal. He did not deserve to die in the street like an animal.”

Officers were called to Calderwood Street where Mr Ogboru had rowed with the girlfriend of the man he was staying with. CCTV footage shows him calmly talking to two officers but when they order him not to return to the flat a struggle ensues.

Two more officers arrive to help restrain him. Footage appears to show one officer’s knee over his neck as his head dangles over the kerb. When the police saw Mr Ogboru had stopped breathing they tried to revive him but it was too late.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission investigated and the four officers were questioned under caution. A pathologist gave “asphyxia during restraint” as the cause of death but the CPS decided “a jury would find that the restraint was not unlawful” as there was not sufficient evidence that the officers had breached their duty of care.

Mrs Ogboru, 40, has been left penniless. She travelled to London but was forced to return home when the Met and the commission ended her financial support.

She is being represented by solicitor Imran Khan, who acted for the family of Zahid Mubarek, murdered in a young offender institution. She said: “I want someone to take responsibility for my husband’s death. I am determined to find a way to return to the UK as I must have justice.”

The four officers remain on restricted duties. The IPCC will send a file to the Met for its recommendation on whether disciplinary action should be taken. The IPCC will then take the final decision.


Source: https://4wardeveruk.org/cases/adult-cases-uk/police-restraint-2/frank-ogboru/

On Tuesday 26th September 2006, Frank Ogboru became another victim to die following physical restraint by police officers. He had been on holiday in Britain for three weeks when he got into an argument with the girlfriend of a friend.

Police were called to the flat in Woolwich, south east London around 10.30pm and attempted to arrest him. Frank later lost consciousness as police pinned him down on the street.

Speaking on the telephone from Lagos, Frank’s wife, Christine Ogboru had a very simple question, “I want to know what killed my husband?” Frank Ogboru was 43; he had been on a visit to London to see friends since early September 2006. His wife was expecting him home the following week.

The details of the domestic dispute which led to police attending the address are as yet unclear, but things appeared to have become sufficiently heated for the police to be called. Within an hour or so of the arrival of uniformed police Frank Ogboru lay dead outside the Vista flats in Woolwich town centre. He was treated by paramedics but was recorded as having passed away before he reached Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Early after the death the Nigerian government took great interest in the circumstances surrounding the death of one of their citizens. The Nigerian community in Woolwich lobbied their diplomatic representatives to try and find answers.

The incident had been witnessed by several people including Sean Pops, 26, who said; “The officers were on top of him, you could tell he was in a lot of pain. The guy kept saying ‘I can’t breathe’.” Another witness said he saw one officer standing with his foot on the victim’s neck as another officer attempted to handcuff him.

An anonymous witness, who saw the incident from her living room window said; “First there were two officers, then four, then more. It was like they were squashing him. They were pinning him down and handcuffing him. I saw officers with their knees on him and their feet on him. He was just wailing – the kind of sound a dog would make if it was kicked. I thought there were too many of them on him.”

It was reported that the incident was recorded on a mobile phone by a passer-by, but the phone was later seized as evidence. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) launched an investigation into the incident which they claimed would be “full and thorough”. The Metropolitan police will also be investigating the case through its own directorate of professional standards.

IPCC officials leafleted local residents and talked to others who may have witnessed the events surrounding Mr Ogboru’s death. It had clearly not helped matters when it was alledged that the IPCC announced early on that Mr Ogboru had died in hospital. Investigators neutrality has been seriously questioned as a consequence.

Frank Ogboru owned a car dealership in Nigeria and has been described by his wife Christy as a ‘loving and generous’ man. Speaking from her home in Lagos, she went on to say; “I want the police to tell me why my husband is dead. He was not a violent man, he was not a criminal.

“He went to Britain to see his friends and now he is dead. He was my life… Frank was a big strong man, he had no health problems. I want him back, but my husband is gone. I can’t have him but I must have justice.”

In April 2008 the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) ruled that there was insufficient evidence to charge any individuals with any offences in relation to the tragic death of Frank Ogboru.


Source: http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/investigation_commissioner_reports/commissioners-report-ogboru.pdf (link now dead but I’d saved it some time ago)

29/09/2006 For Immediate Release

IPCC update on investigation into Woolwich death

IPCC Commissioner Mehmuda Mian Pritchard for London and the South East
region has today given the following statement:

“The Independent Police Complaints Commission is conducting an
independent investigation into the death on Tuesday night of a man who
was in police custody in Woolwich.

“I, Mehmuda Mian Pritchard, Commissioner for London and South East
region, am overseeing this investigation. By law, Commissioners cannot
have been employed by the police service.

“There is a team of 17 IPCC investigators working on the case, led by
IPCC Deputy Senior Investigator Paul Craig, who has 24 years of
investigative experience.

“The incident occurred between 10.30pm and 11.30pm on Tuesday 26
September, on Calderwood Street, Woolwich, London SE18. A 43-year-old
black male was arrested by officers from the Metropolitan Police
Service. Officers had been called to an address in Calderwood Street.
During the arrest the man became unwell and stopped breathing. Attempts
were made to resuscitate him, London Ambulance Service was called and he
was taken to Queen Elizabeth hospital, where he was pronounced dead at

“Metropolitan Police Service notified the IPCC at 1.20am on Wednesday.
The IPCC’s team of investigators were deployed to the scene in the early
hours of Wednesday morning and evidence was gathered, including CCTV and
mobile phone video footage. Last night IPCC investigators were at the
scene conducting witness interviews, continuing to gather evidence and
making house-to-house enquiries.

“IPCC investigators will continue to work at the scene for at least the
next week. We will be putting up witness appeal boards next Tuesday in
order to make contact with people who may have been passing through the

“Several significant witnesses have already been identified as a result
of enquiries. However, we are still keen to contact anyone who might
have information about this incident.

“If you were passing through Calderwood Street between 10.30pm and
11.30pm on Tuesday night, we would like to speak to you. We know that a
number 178 bus heading towards Lewisham passed by the scene at 10.27pm,
and we would like to contact passengers from that bus. If you have
information about the incident, please contact the IPCC incident room on
020 7166 3200, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

“The IPCC is committed to conducting a thorough investigation into this
incident and is also directing a team of Metropolitan Police Service
officers in gathering evidence. All evidence relating to the
investigation is being managed by the IPCC.

“Our investigation is still at an early stage but we will be providing
regular updates on the progress of our investigation.

“A post-mortem was carried out on Wednesday, and we are awaiting the
results of further tests. The man has not yet been formally identified
and no inquest date has yet been set.”

Notes for editors

The IPCC is the body with overall responsibility for the police
complaints system. Since April 2006 it has taken on responsibility for
similar, serious complaints against HM Revenue and Customs and the
Serious Organised Crime Agency in England and Wales.

The IPCC has the task of increasing public confidence in the complaint
systems and aims to make investigations more open, timely, proportionate
and fair.

The 17 Commissioners who run the IPCC guarantee its independence and by
law can never have served as police officers. No Commissioner has worked
for HM Revenue and Customs. They are supported by 100 independent IPCC
investigators, as well as case workers and specialist support staff.

Since April 1 2004 the IPCC has used its powers to begin 97 independent
and 373 managed investigations into the most serious complaints against
the police. It has set new standards for police forces to improve the
way the public’s complaints are handled. The Commission also handles
appeals by the public about the way their complaint was dealt with by
the local force.

The IPCC is committed to getting closer to the communities it serves.
Its Commissioners and staff are based in IPCC regional offices in
Cardiff, Coalville, London and Sale plus a sub office in Wakefield.


Other links relating to the incident:











Click to access Dying_for_Justice_web.pdf

One thought on “Woolwich Wahala

  1. Pingback: International Index of NBM Wahala – Part 3 | bemigho147watch

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s